Fruit smoothies are an excellent way to get much of your daily intake of fruits, vitamins, and antioxidants. Making a delicious fruit smoothie in a blender sounds kind of simple… and it actually is! But there are a few tips to make it easier and smoother. (Pun definitely intended!)
- Use the right fruit. Not all fruits are meant to be in a smoothie. Grapes and cherries are yummy but also have too much pulp to work well in a smoothie. Oranges have a similar problem but orange juice gives you the great citrus flavor without all the pulp. Berries are a favorite in fruit smoothies. They are easy to blend and are full of vitamins. Tropical fruit like pineapple and mangoes are also good.
- Half of your smoothie ingredients should be liquid. Trying to blend a bunch of frozen fruit without enough liquid in your blender will be difficult especially if you are using a standard low budget blender. You can use fruit and vegetable juices, milk, or even plain water if you are trying to manage calories. Almond and soy milk are a great source of protein and taste great in smoothies. You can try a combination of liquids to see which you like best.
- Use frozen fruit. It is cheaper than fresh and in many ways is healthier. Frozen fruits and vegetables are picked at the peak of freshness so the vitamins and minerals are preserved better. They will also give your smoothie a delicious chill without needing ice.
- Bananas are one of my favorite smoothie ingredients because of their wonderful texture. Adding a frozen banana to your smoothies will give a great creamy texture. Buy the bananas when they are ripe and on sale. More brown spots means they will be sweeter. Peel them and store them in a plastic bag in the freezer.
- Assemble your smoothie the night before. The next morning, the fruits will have thawed a bit and will be the perfect consistency for blending. It will also save you time and cut down on your morning routine.
- Start at a low speed and increase the blender speed slowly. Wait until you see what looks like a tornado or a whirlpool at the top of the smoothie before you turn up the blender. If you blend your smoothie too quickly, the contents will make an air pocket and they will stop mixing properly. If this happens, simply wait until the air bubble rises to the top and try again.
- Make sure to blend your smoothie long enough. Just because the smoothie looks like liquid doesn’t mean it’s quite done. If you blend your smoothie for at least a full minute after everything looks mixed, it will be nice and blended and even more tasty.
Making great smoothies is really easy and very fun. Follow these simple steps and you will be on your way to a delicious healthy treat.